i2b2 (Informatics for Integrating Biology and the Bedside) it’s an open-source software developed by the US research center “i2b2” in Boston and initially funded by the National Institute of Health (NIH).
The platform allows to create data-warehouse systems integrating clinical and research data to build patients cohorts and perform analyses. The development of the platform is leaded by the i2b2 tranSMART Foundation and is supported by a large international academic community. i2b2 is deployed in more than 250 clinical centers for research purposes to manage data from more than 300 million patients.
Installation and personalization of clinical data-warehouses supporting research projects
- Software installation on premise or in cloud
- Design of the concepts taxonomy needed to query the data-warehouse based on ad hoc terminologies or international standards: diagnoses and procedures (ICD9/10), laboratory (LOINC) and drugs (ATC/RxNorm)
- Supply of the data sources in collaboration with the data provider companies
- Harmonization of the data sources with the standard international terminologies finalized at the i2b2 data integration
- Design and development of the data integration procedures: ETL procedures (Extract/Transform/Load) for the automatic import from heterogeneous data sources (files, DB views, HL7)
- Installation and configuration of the ETL procedures to import data to and into eCRF/EDC
- Design and development of Text-mining or Natural Language Processing (NLP) procedures to import information extracted from clinical reports
- Design and development of software extensions (analysis tools)
- Support in clinical trials design and creation of complex inclusion and exclusion criteria
- Training of the administrators and users for the correct use of the platform
- Help desk for query building and analysis tool usage
BIOMERIS, initially in collaboration with the Università degli Studi di Pavia, supports research institutes and hospitals in the deployment of i2b2 infrastructure since 2008. BIOMERIS is, to date, the only company in Italy qualified to offer services related to i2b2, it’s also in the “Vendor Directory” of the i2b2 tranSMART Foundation.